Thursday, January 24, 2008

Why yes, I am a mother

This post has been waiting in my draft folder because I wanted a picture to illustrate my point, but oh well. I'll post a pic when I can.

With my recent birthday and the birth of a new year, it's natural to review your life, accomplishments, and gauge if you're growing old with grace. Losing nearly all my pregnancy weight, sporting a new haircut (thank you Amanda), and being blessed with Asian slow-aging genes, I felt pretty good about myself. Our friend from Grenada, Salisha, is here now enrolling in BYUH and we were helping her get settled today--an intensely complicated journey zigzagging the entire campus. My ego got a few boosts as people incorrectly assumed I was enrolling with her instead of being the older, possibly wiser guide shepherding her about.


Then we met her roommate. A twenty year old sophomore from Vietnam. After initial pleasentries about who was from where, she politely crumbled my self image with this innocent query: so is this your mother? IS THIS YOUR MOTHER?!! Are you kidding me? Do I look old enough to be the mother of an eighteen year old? Or did I have her when I was 10? Oh, and then there's the little visual clue: me Chinese, her African.


So life continues to surpise and tickle me. Today, for the first time, I looked like the mother of an eighteen year old black girl. What will tomorrow bring?

7 comments:

Shauna said...

Oh Cailin, you're so funny. that did give me a good laugh! Tell Salisha hello from us! How great of you to help her out there.
Grenada is the same and we miss you and the Johnstons terribly. We have 0 new families/people this term in the branch. We are also enjoying your house and car! No complaints.

ephraim said...

pictures of the new haircut, kudasai. To this day Melinda complains about BYUH inefficiency/bureaucracy making us all run around to get signatures and such. I tell you what, I think there's a small section of my sinuses that has a few kernels of Iz's germs still lingering. I also love Iz trying to convince Keahi of what is real outside Subway. It must be the child/father age combo that makes us think we can speak logic to our children. They're smart, but maybe not logical...yet.

bentanelle said...

That is great! You don't look like her mother don't worry! She emailed me and said things are going good, thanks for taking care of her! We miss her in Young Womens! Keep us updated on your life at home!

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

Was Iz surfing the river that comes out to waimea last week? we were watching these surf videos on the web and we saw Iz, or his clone.

Robbie said...

Cailin, I love your Keahi quotes. I'm sure many moms which they had recorded all the things they're kids used to say cause we tend to forget the really great ones. Yes, and you have to get him saying, "naot". I love having you guys nearby!

Maren said...

Yeah a kudasai on the new haircut pictures from me too!

You're not old enough to have kids in college. holy moly. I can hardly believe you're a mom of those two cutie keikis! An 18 year old is entirely unbelievable! Don't you worry! :)

Keri and Aaron said...

Ok, so I haven't checked any blogs in forever and now I am sorry I have been missing them. HILARIOUS! And I must say you look excellent...at least you did three months ago. :) --even if you do look like an octagon.