Friday, April 11, 2008

Mommy's Little Helper

I've been semi-trying to get back to a normal routine now that we're back from the Big Island--regular mealtimes, activities, etc. In this spirit when I went to shower yesterday morning I asked Keahi what activity he wanted to do until I was finished (instead of letting him roam around getting into trouble which happens when I'm lazy). He opted for puppets so he could make up a story to tell me when I came out. After some glorious alone time, I finally dragged myself out of the shower only to discover that I forgot to get a towel. Blast. The towels were all downstairs and Keahi has this fear of being on a different floor from me.

"Keaaaahi."
"Yes, mommy." Wow, that was amazingly prompt.
"Can you please do me a favor and get a towel from the triangle closet downstairs?"
"I don't see a triangle closet." Oh, boy. I guess I could air-dry.
"Mommy, I found a very big towel in the closet." Yes. And he didn't even freak out about going downstairs alone. And he even got me a towel.
"Thank you, Keahi. Just hand it through the door."
"It's very big, mommy. Look, it's almost as tall as me."

He walked into the bathroom holding up a terry cloth floormat. It reached his shoulders. I couldn't bring myself to burst his proud bubble and send him back for a real towel so I made do with the floormat. I guess when you're 3 feet tall you have a different concept of what BIG is.

1 comment:

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

what a good helper. hey, have you guys decided where you're moving next?