Monday, December 21, 2009

Fall and Winter in GP

I love Hawaii and I miss wearing shorts and baking at the beach. But I must say I'm a fan of the changing seasons. This autumn seemed like it came on fast and the leaves fell so quickly. But I loved having a bright red tree in our front yard and how the leaves covered the lawn. Our unmowed lawn. That is until the neighbor's much larger tree with yellow flowers obliterated the blanket of red. Then we got to rake it all up and shove into piles along the roadside for the city to haul away. Awesome service, huh. And the kids helped-ish and then jumped into the seriously 3ft high piles. Autumn rocks.
Click to play this Smilebox greeting: fall leaves 2009
Create your own greeting - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox greeting

And now we've had a little snow and everything looks magical. The very first snowfall (12/8/2009)--more like slush--Iz and I went outside to take pictures. I think it's our new winter tradition. I love the snow. It feels so quiet and still and I'm filled with awe as I see the world change. Lakeshore Dr. is one of my favorite roads and I always wish I had a camera when I drive to the gym along the lake and all the massive, lovely houses. Now it's even more spectacular. And all those mansions covered in snow is even more magical. The edges of the lake are even freezing over and Keahi really, really wants to go walking on it. (So I finally brought my camera and got some cloudy pics of Lakeshore Dr. and they don't do it justice. But, oh well.) I can't wait to go ice skating soon. And I'm hoping we get one more good snowfall so we can have our first real white Christmas.

We went back to Blake's Orchard and chose a tree--it took hours and was ffffreeezing. I must say I'm impressed with our self control since it was still during our diet and we didn't eat any of the donuts or hot cider we got for the kids. Anyway,the tree is perfect and fits in our unlit front room perfectly and adds a nice glow in which to find your coat hiding in the closet. I found a woman on craigslist who apparently changes her Christmas theme each year and sold me all her matching silver and white ornaments, angel, mantle garland, and candles for $20. Score. If we're still here next year I'll have to look her up again. It's our first fancy tree--last year was paper ornaments. I love the lights all aglow and the Christmasy smells and all the fun things you get to do this time of year. Keahi made a bunch of fun crafts at his school including a 2ft snowman decoration, a reindeer trivet, and some lollipops. Guess which was his favorite. And now that it's all snowy and white, it really feels festive. I love the seasons.
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: winter snowfall
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

No comments: