Friday, November 28, 2008

Entering the Thirty-something zone

So I realize it's been weeks since the blessed events and still nothing to document it but I guess I'm slipping in my old age. As of the 7th and 19th, Iz and I have hit the 30 milestone. Yikes! Both days were commemorated appropriately--though, as you'll see, sadly lacking in the picture department--and full of laughter, songs, and presents--but light on cake.

Israel's b-day:
Sadly he still had to work at the hospital on his special day, but at least it was a friday. I feel bad that I let his birthday sneak up on me since I was more focused on Halloween with the kids the week before. But I asked around for ideas and the one that stuck was going to a show on Broadway since we have to take advantage of all the newyorkish things available while we can. And what's more new york than the oldest running show on Broadway--Phantom of the Opera. I know, it's a bit of a girly thing to do for Iz's b-day but I told him we could do something equally manly on my birthday like go to a hockey game or watch some good ol UFC action. And I also have to fess up that I didn't cook anything special for dinner or make a cake since I had a dentist appointment and other assorted excuses. But we did have a couple of pretty tasty burgers from a nearby dinner and red velvet cake for dessert. And while Phantom may not have been exactly Iz's tastes, the break dancing in the subway station and standing in Time Square more than made up for it. Plus, he just looks really good all dressed up. One of the many reasons I love him. And here's a few more--though not the traditional 30 for 30 years cause I still have to cover my birthday and that would be a long post. But here's a quick selection:

-He likes musicals.
-He’s musical. Sings. Plays the sax.
-He'll make a complete (loveable) idiot out of himself to get me to laugh.
-He accepts me with all my flaws and rarely ever complains about them.
-He's definitely the fun parent.
-He’s very smart without being arrogant about it.
-He’s curious and interested in so many different things.
-He’s athletic without being aggressively competitive or easily frustrated with less talented players.
-He’s the kindest person ever with telemarketers. I am so rude in comparison.
-He cuts the boys’ hair. Mine, too.
-He thinks I am beautiful.
-Well, just look at him. And he smells nice, too.




Cailin's birthday:
So we didn't do anything particularly manly for my day. We ate leftover pizza and watched Quantum of Solace. Daniel Craig is definitely my favorite Bond. Much less wimpy than Brosnan. Anyhow, instead of spending a bundle on a show, Iz got me 2 great gifts. If you're wondering about the odd perspective in the pictures, Keahi took several and these are the ones with our heads still in the frame. I don't play my brain age every day but when I do I spend hours on it. I know, I'm obsessive. And I haven't read the book yet though Iz is about 2/3 through it. Overall it was a good day--particularly because I didn't have any extra kids to watch. The last week had been particuarly kid heavy as was the previous 2 days and the day after. Wednesday was the only non-4-kids day. It felt like a breeze. Plus I didn't have to make dinner and I neglected the laundry and dishes for the day. But while my birthday was good, after midinight it got less good. As in spending the wee hours spewing from both ends--crude, I know, but that's the way it was. At least the stomach flu waited till after the movie to kick in. And a few days (and pounds, though those came right back) later, I'm good as new. So after the whole thing, I feel like shrugging and asking what's the big deal about 30. And then secretly hyperventalating that I'm no longer in my 20s and anticipating in horror being called ma'am. Yelck.


Anyhow, as I review my 3 decades living on this planet, I feel like I've learned a few things and figured I'd share them with all of you.
Wisdom gained over 3 decades:
--1st decade: I'd rather be too cold than too hot since you can keep putting more clothes on to warm up but there's only so many things you can take off when you're hot. (one of many interesting conversations I had with Leah Shlachter as a kid)
--2nd decade: College is cool. I should have taken more time to enjoy it.
--3rd decase: Life is whizzing by faster every year and I'd better try to do more with what I've got.....and being a mom is way harder than I thought it was in previous decades.

3 comments:

Leah said...

wooo! I made your first decade of life highlights! And I remember i said that I would rather be always hot because you could just jump into the ocean...we were at sharks cove, after all. remember in 8th grade we thought people should burn more calories with thinking rather than exercising? Then all the GT kids would have hot bods and we would always know who to vote for for president.

I've been 30 since feb and so far I have found 1 gray hair. I pulled it out of course. I've also started to use eye cream--my young 23 year old friends swear by it.

Robbie said...

(Watch out for all the b's): Thanks for all these fun posts about barfing and birthdays. Poor Keahi, with no Derek around. glad you guys got to go to broadway! And that breakdancer was incredible! My arms were getting sore watching him!

Maren said...

Welcome to 30! I've only been here a month myself... but living in the South, I've been called ma'am more times than I care to admit!

And Cailin! I'm amazed at your hair! Iz really cuts it? With all those layers and stuff? I'm impressed! I'd also like to schedule an appointment! :)