Saturday, January 23, 2010

5 Kids for 2 Days

I remember freaking out while I was pregnant with Jarom about the huge step from one kid to two. I mean, I had a routine down with Keahi and the new arrival was going mess things up with all the feedings and naps and crying. But, 3 years later, I think I've got a handle on two kids.....but having three still freaks me out. I've heard it's the hardest step since once you've got three down, adding extra ones is a breeze. Hmmmm....not sure if I believe the breeze part. (Bettina, what did you think of going from 3 to 5?) But now I can say I know what having 5 kids would be like--specifically 2 sets of twins and a baby. It's exhausting. Especially since I forgot what having a baby was like and my arms weren't prepared for the constant weight of baby Alex--particularly compared to my lightweight boys. But, aside from the constant need to be held, Alex was very simple to care for. Eat, play, sleep. Repeat as needed. It was mostly the older kids that got wild.
The first day was great. So easy I thought I was wrong about worrying about another kid. It made a big difference to have Iz around the whole time. We took the kids to the Clinton Macomb Library that's about a 40 min. drive away but well worth the extra drive. The children's wing is full of things to play with, making the books kinda secondary. The drama stage is huge and well stocked with puppets large and small. There's an electric train circling above the entrance and a Thomas train table with lots of trains to chug around. Fire engine and bus facades and a horse and wagon to boot. And by the time we got home it was naptime for Jarom and baby Alex. And with only 3 kids and a huge basement full of toys, naptime flew by in relative peace. It was amazing what taking Jarom out of the mix fixed since it was mostly Jarom and William that bugged eachother. And pizza and a movie rounded out the evening. Bedtime was also not as bad as I'd feared. We put Alex down in our room and the Grange kids in the spare room--which was much better than my original plan to put all four big kids in the boys' room and the baby in the spare room. This way our boys went down almost immediately and the Granges followed suit after about an hour of talking and giggling. Of course, this was all after their impromptu group visit to the bathroom to get drinks and play with the faucet. But by 8:30pm all was quiet and Iz and I could relax.
The next day was not as idyllic. This time we went to Eastland Mall playscapes to burn off some energy. Iz watched them for a bit by himself while I ran some errands. And then there were multiple potty breaks in an unfamiliar mall with one very close call. And my brilliant idea to do lunchables to avoid fussing backfired since the nuggets and crackers stackers were not big Granger pleasers. I should have just stuck to pbj sandwiches. At least last night's dinner was mostly successful in that the Granges picked off the pepperonis to give to my boys who loved the extra toppings. It's funny how you can never predict kids' tastebuds. Bettina told me that she had similar pickiness problems when our boys were over there. She made homemade mac and cheese with vegetables and her kids ate all the mac and cheese and mine ate all the veggies. I still don't get how I could have kids who don't like mac and cheese. It's unnatural. Anyhow, naptime was less successful this day. I think the novelty of having friends over was wearing off quickly. But we persevered and had fun making New Year's hats and marching in a parade once the boys woke up. I felt bad sending the kids home to their parents with more noise makers but it's New Year's so it's expected, right? Anyhow, it all came to an end by dinner time and with only two kids in the house it felt almost relaxing. Nothing like five to make two seem easy. Then we put them down early and cleaned up for our grownup party to begin.
The Smiths and the Orlandis came over to eat and play games and ring in 2010 with us. With the three families we had the complete YW presidency and 2/3 the Elder's quorum presidency and the seminary instructor. Don't you just love small branches. We had quite the spread with Cyndi's applesauce porkchops with sauerkraut and several cheeses (including a baked brie I learned how to make from Damaris-thanks girl!) and sausages Iz had brought back from NY, and sweets and sparkling drinks galore. The cheesecake fudge we'd gotten from Costco was a big hit. I may have to splurge sometime and order it online. It's called FudgeWudgies. Amazing. Simply ambrosia. We got to talking and eating so much we forgot to play our games till after midnight. And we kept going for a couple more hours. See, we non-drinkers can have fun on New Year's Eve, too. We even introduced them to Nerts. Even though Iz kept dominating, I can't wait to play again sometime. Anyone interested? And we played Catchphrase men v. women. Why is it we always teamup that way? Since we were kids. You'd think the solidarity would evolve into marital unity but somehow it always ends up boys v. girls. Anyhow, I think it was a great way to end 2009 with the kids' friends and our friends, too. Let's hope 2010 is full of more friends and not 5 kids--I could maybe start thinking about 3 but not 5.

Click to play this Smilebox photobook: sleepover with Granges
Create your own photobook - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox free photobook design

4 comments:

beth said...

Wow - you posted this January 23rd? I am WAY behind my blog checking. I think going from 3 to 5 was easier, especially since Alex wasn't quite so clingy to me.

You got some AWESOME pics and videos. What fun!

Mariko said...

You are CRAZY. I would never volunteer to do that. Or be forced. Not unless someone was planning to take my kids for a week.

Robbie said...

Yeah, I would do it for a kid swap. Sounds very adventurous, but you guys are such fun parents/aunty/uncle, taking them to cool places and giving them lunchables. :)
What a fun New Years celebration! I love how sociable you guys are as a couple. That sounds like something I would want to do, but Scott wouldn't. :)

IZ said...

Who wanted to do it?! J/k