Thursday, December 11, 2008

The First Snow of 2008

On Saturday, December 6, 2008 at 10pm we here in Park Slope had our first snow. It was just a sprinkle but it was enough to coat the tops of the cars and throw a few snowballs and induce a winter glow--okay, to be honest it was more like giddy exuberance--in my heart. It was magical to watch the tiny white specks float down on us and scoop it up to throw at each other like kids. I imagine a few of our neighbors were shaking their heads at the middle aged (yikes!) couple frolicking in the tiniest powdering of snow. But I don't care because it was worth it to throw a jacket and scarf on over my pajamas to enjoy our late night adventure. Seriously, I love this whole changing of seasons thing. I love Hawaii. It's beautiful. But the more I live elsewhere the more I discover so many other kinds of beautiful. Tall, naked trees, stripped of their autumn brilliance against a dark sky with snow drifting down definitely makes my top ten. I almost got the kids up to see it, we were that excited. But, the thought of cranky kids in the morning and trying to get them back to bed after waking them up to smother them in jackets and pushing them out into the cold night stopped the errant idea. But after we told Keahi about it in the morning he's even more anxious to see it for himself. I don't particularly want a ton of snow all winter, but I'm crossing my fingers for one good storm to cover us up once. I just really want one white Christmas to remember back in the rainy greenness of paradise.
(First snowball thrown by Iz.)

(My first snowball.)


(We're really smashing snowballs into the air--but it sure looks as if it's snowing hard.)

(This is what it really looked like.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I see snow almost anually and I still act that way. Looking forward to our own pajama adventure as we await the possibility of our first snow tonight.