Sunday, December 7, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving

Now I know it's already December but there are a few November things to cover including Turkey Day. We were going to go to the Johnston's house in New Jersey for dinner but things got more complicated what with the terrorist threats against Penn station and the extra 2 hours to get there on top of the 45 min to the parade. I felt torn over the threats because my first reaction was What? how is it that someone from NJ had to call and tell me about it and I hadn't heard about it from anyone here. But then after watching several clips about it and seeing the multitude of AK toting men in uniform sweeping the station, I reconsidered. I mean, how stupid would I feel if I ignored it all and then a bomb did blow up the station while I was there. Assuming, of course, that I and my family were all still alive to feel stupid about it. So at the last minute (about 10pm the night before) we canceled on our friends. Now what to do.

Luckily the local market is open till midnight so a quick trip later we had the fixings for a pseudo turkey dinner--the largest chicken in the store. We had rosemary lemon chicken with garlic mashed potatoes and roasted carrots. And Iz made a wonderful pumpkin roll for dessert. Not bad for a last minute meal.



I also found online a fun template for pilgrim hats. I think the boys look adorable. Then a few days ago as part of our advent calendar scripture/activity the boys made a list of things they're grateful for. Keahi's first thought was Derek and Carson. His family came in second. I guess I should be grateful to be included at all. Watching shows made both boys' lists, of course. And Keahi insisted on pink paper which meant that Jarom's had to be pink as well. Who are these boys who like pink when their mother had an abosolute horror of the color as a kid.



But I skipped right past the New York milestone. We got up early and took the train to Manhattan to see the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Within five minutes I'd filled my quota for crowds for the next year, but even though we were way in the back we got to see lots of massive balloons and only slightly smaller floats. We lasted about half an hour before fighting the crowds to get back to home sweet home. But it was a great experience and one we wouldn't have missed for the world--unless, of course, the terrorists had blown up Columbus Circle station. That would have complicated things.




1 comment:

Robbie said...

Is it just me, or are the boys getting whiter? :) And are they looking more and more alike as they get older? I tell you! It's hard to tell whose who with those big coats or with a pilgrim hat, with only a face showing! Nah, but really, I know whose who. I love you guys! Glad you are safe and had a fun Thanksgiving, even if it was just by yourselves.