Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Here Comes Santa Claus

Up until a couple of weeks ago, Keahi firmly believed that Santa was made up. He said it was just a pretend person and I had to have several talks with him about not outing Santa with his friends. Then, suddenly, he came home from school announcing that Santa was real. Astonished, I began asking him questions about his sudden 180.

"So, you changed your mind about Santa?"
"No.....um, yeah." He looked at me with these bright, hopeful eyes, begging me to tell him that a jolly elderly man would be bringing him extra gifts this year. As we talked more about what he thought about Santa, his opinion seemed to solidify as he came up with an answer for each confusing detail.

According to Keahi:
-Santa's sleigh is magical so he can get all the way around the world (and Keahi knows a bit more about geography and distance than the average 4 year old, having learned all about continents, countries, etc and having been on many, many, many airplanes), including to the scientists who live in Antarctica. It goes really fast....but slower than a space shuttle since that's the fastest way to travel.
-Santa comes down chimneys and is always careful to avoid lit fires by bracing his legs against the inner walls of the chimney. He had trouble with how Santa gets UP the chimney though. I've only read him Twas the Night.... after this discussion and I'm not sure he caught the whole touching the side of his nose thing. Though I think he'd question that. Better to believe it's something to do with magic. That apparently covers everything.
-When there's no chimney, he comes through the door, of course. And I'm supposed to let him in to our apartment.
-But since I said I'd be asleep, Santa has a master key that opens up all the doors in the world. Hmmm, there's a scary thought.

Oh, and a talk with his friend Jada who told him you have to be good to get presents totally baffled Keahi who does not know the Santa Claus is Coming to Town song--the best part of the lore for parents. He told her he was going to be sleeping so how was he supposed to be good.

This past Monday when we had FHE and I asked Keahi what was the greatest gift Jesus gave us, he jumped up and shouted, "Santa!"

My smart little boy who questions everything and never believed in magic has jumped on the Santa wagon. Poor Iz might have a heart attack. So when we go to Tammy's house this week and Keilani gets gifts from Santa I guess we'll have to give him one as well or he'll wonder if he's being punished. Great. One more thing to do.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Holy cow, G has decided the same thing. I don't mind it, so long as he doesn't forget it's pretend, but he's gone whole-hog. Our fireplace has a door, so he's very concerned about that (we must leave it open). And he has Morgan convinced--but she's much more cautious about a strange old man coming into our house in the middle of the night.

beth said...

That's so funny - the one kid who I was sure would NEVER believe was Keahi. Good for him! Esther hasn't told me whether or not she believes - I'll have to find our her opinion the matter. Santa usually gave us fruit and soda - I think that made it easy on him.