Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Combating 2nd child syndrome

I realized early on that despite my good intentions I had definitely fallen victim to 2nd child syndrome--as the inflicter obviously. Poor Jarom only has several hundred pictures instead of the thousands of his older brother. And I haven't used nearly as many of his quotes either. The whole not talking for the first one and a half years also contributed to this oversight. But all joking aside, I do feel bad that I had tons of video of Keahi singing and counting and doing all sorts of dancing bear routines we parents coax our kids into doing for our entertainment. But I have almost none of Jarom. So I figured it was time to rectify the situation. Here's a video of his version of Twinkle, Twinkle, the Safety Seat song, and Rain, Rain. I wonder how many of you will be able to understand his words, but even if you can't it's still pretty adorable.

It's easy to overlook his accomplishments because of Keahi set the bar so high. But while he still isn't completely accurate with either his letters or his numbers he does know most of them including the sounds. Which is pretty good. He knows his shapes and colors and often suprises us with his funny phrases just like Keahi did at this age. Of course, if he wanted to catch up academically he'd have to sprint since he'd have to start reading simple books in the next 5 or 6 months. That ain't gonna happen. But it may not be as far a stretch as I'd been thinking. On Sunday at church after coloring for a while with Keahi and two other little kids in our row, Iz starting writing things on his page. When he pointed at J-A-R-O-M, Jarom actually said, "Jay-ar-om!" Then, with a little coaching, he sounded out cat, dog, dad, and mom. Actually, he got mom on his own. Yeah, we know who the center of his universe is. So here's me bragging about my second child. Aim spotlight here. Cuteness and brilliance abound. And now I'd better start focusing on him more.



9 comments:

Mariko said...

Despite my claims of Amaya being a secret reader, Jarom's quite ahead. Hmph. This is hardly 2nd child syndrome. It doesn't count when the 2nd child is twice as brilliant as most kids just because the 1st child is 4 times as brilliant, silly.

Mariko said...

Oh yeah, and I definitely have less than 100 pictures of Amaya. How sad is that?

sienna said...

i am not sure it is scientifically proven, but I think late bloomers end up being the funniest and more creative. He is probably just observing right now, so he'll have material for later.

beth said...

"Come again another time" - Loved it! It's awesome that (unlike most kids) he actually knows the meaning of the songs he's singing or he wouldn't be able to substitute another word that makes sense.

Um - Esther is just learning to read at 4.5, and she's a little bit ahead of most kids. I don't think you have to worry about your two year old.

Robbie said...

Jarom IS so adorable! Thanks for posting a little spotlight just about him. And let's remember that kids are that small only once in their lives. Later they'll be able to count all you want them to or read whatever for the rest of their lives. Of course, it's easy to say not to worry about your child's development when he's not your own. I'm sure I'm going to worry about my own, too, especially since he'll have such smartie cousins to compare to.

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

we all learn how to count and recognize letters. Who cares when it actually happens.

I was worried that Enzo wasn't talking and now he's pretty fluent in both Portuguese and English.

I'm glad they all develop on their own time

Unknown said...

Cute video, late isn't such a bad thing. It leaves more time for cute times.

Mariko said...

Helll----O! I want to point out again, that Jarom is not LATE blooming. He is on TIME blooming.
So I had a dream you guys came to Laie the other night. I'm seeing tickets for $400. Could you swing it? Puhleeeeze?

cailin said...

I wish. Can you swing it this way? Pretty please with chocolate haupia on top?