Sunday, February 8, 2009

Holiday Trip Part 5: Toledo

Because we were driving instead of flying, we were able to make a pit stop in Toledo to see Lani, Nate and the tots. We haven't seen them since Paul was only a toddler so it was great to catch up and watch all the big kids play around together. When we arrived at their place they were actually still out shopping so we kicked back in the yard and played on the swings, slide and seesaw and threw snowballs at each other. At first Jarom wasn't sold on the seesaw but then he really got into it. And Keahi got blasted by Iz several times and even got snow in his ear once. But he also got Iz pretty well--I love Iz's dramatic flair. Color me jealous that they even have a yard. With a garage. The playground equipment was just salt in the wound. Oh for wide open spaces. Then when the Roehls returned, Paul quickly snagged Keahi to show him his new video game, Monkey Ball. The boys whooped it up in the basement (another awesome house tradition) while the rest of us chatted and got reacquainted. I love all of Iz's family and I love how big that family has grown. Watching Lani and Nate interact with their kids reminded me about all the things I love about my own kids and reinforced my goal to be a better mom. All this travel with two small active boys had really worn me down but it was rejuvinating to watch them play with their cousins and feel like a bigger family.

We sampled the local favorite pizza joint--which was tasty though I'll admit to liking our neighborhood pizzaria better (loyalties, ya know). But I was overwhelmed by the massive gyros that accompanied the pizza. That's right. Gyros. Then we relaxed with distended bellies while the kids watched Star Wars. Notice their rapt attention? I wish I could inspire that kind of focus.

We only stayed the one night and had to wake up early to finish our trek back to Brooklyn, but I'm really glad we were able to visit. Iz and I are acknowledged as the worst corresponders of either family, I think, but we'll try to rectify this. Soon. Just like I'm also committed to updating this blog with details that are now 2 months old. Anyway, the Roehls rock and we're glad to call them family. . . . .and I've only realized now that I'm posting pics that we didn't take any with the grown up Roehls. Wow. You can tell where the priorities are for us parents, huh.

2 comments:

beth said...

I love that you took a picture of the snow in the ear before getting it out!

Robbie said...

yeah, the kids are what everyone wants to see, right? So cool that you could stop by Toledo and see them, and that they had a night off to hang out! Thanks for posting about our side of the family, too! I don't mind that it's 2 months late. I think you're amazing that you can post as often as you do with those boys keeping your hands full all the time.