Tuesday, January 6, 2009

dreams

This morning as I was herding the boys out the door to take Keahi to preschool, I leaned around Israel's shoulder to kiss his cheek and thank him for doing the dishes. He mumbled something about it being silly that he gets thanked for doing something he ought to do.

"All right, then, No thanks for the dishes."

"And you're NOT welcome."

We laughed and I ran out the door after the kids who were already at the building entrance making a ruckus. I didn't really give the incident any more thought until Iz came home early from the hospital and told me about his dream. Apparently while I was dreaming about happy things, he was having one of his not infrequent nightmares about my leaving him. (Any psychology majors out there with an opinion?) I had been unhappy for months and been confiding in Letty Jackson about all the things that made me want to leave. And in this dream reality, Iz was hearing all about it from Letty at a church function.

"So. . .this morning I was doing the dishes."

Dreams are powerful things. Silly and unfounded. But, hey, I'm not going to look a washed dish in the mouth.

4 comments:

Mariko said...

Man, if you're telling Letty, then it's SERIOUS.

beth said...

I wonder if someone could market that - make a cd for wives to play while their husbands are sleeping, causing them dreams that make them want to do the dishes.
Seriously though, it's crazy how some dreams can really shake you up.

Maren said...

Maybe if he stops doing the dishes you might leave him. You might not either though. Pretty silly to want to leave the father of your cutie boys. Plus... I don't see either of you with anyone else. You're a really good fit, and compliment each other really well on multiple levels. Plus, you make cute kids! Why leave all that? :)

Leah said...

maybe it's because IZ watched you break a lot of hearts before you found your way home....