Thursday, September 3, 2009

Fun with Art

I've always been afraid of doing art with my boys. It doesn't take much imagination to see the possibilities--permanent markers on the furniture, paint on the ceiling, toxic something-or-other in their mouths and eyes. Markers and crayons I can handle. BTW, since we got here Keahi has started getting into copying pictures from books. This dinosaur from The Bernstein Bears was his first attempt. And yesterday he drew this Harold. Jarom is still working on perfecting his "fireworks" technique.



So it was a big step for me to spend $80 on art supplies including lots of scary paint. And it's been stressful for me as I try to contain my kids exuberance to protect our house. But it's been lots of fun, too. My friend, Keri, turned me on to this website: http://www.discountschoolsupply.com. It's fabulous. The kids loved using the paintsicles (really does feel drawing with lipstick) and Keahi suddenly got over his aversion to face painting. In a big way. Now he wants to cover himself from head to toe in paint. And using the bio colors to make instant silly putty was genius. It was Halloween in the house for an hour or so. I love Keahi's scary faces for the camera. So now I'm a convert to art with my kids. And luckily, this bio color washes out well. Lucky for my splattered walls, blinds, and my hair.
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: The Boys and Paint
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

2 comments:

beth said...

What fun! And what great pictures they can make!

Robbie said...

I can't believe how well Keahi can draw! that dinosaur looks exactly like the one on the book. I'm so proud of my little nephew, growing up and doing all kinds of cool things!