Sunday, April 22, 2012

Conversations and quotes to remember

I haven't felt like dealing with the error in the quote of the day formatting so it's been lacking for a while but I need to remember some of these gems.

Jarom recently took home four guppies from his class and has just named them: dinosaur, shark, barracuda, and little croc-ee. He said it was because he wanted them to feel good about themselves. And ferocious, too.

Today while I was nursing upstairs, Jarom suddenly started to cry. I found out that Keahi had elbowed him in the face after Keahi had told him repeatedly to be quiet during the show. Guess talking in a movie would be a bad move if you're with Keahi. I sent him to his room and comforted Jarom. While we were chatting, Keahi called out asking if he could come out yet. I said NO. But then Jarom said, "I wish Keahi could come out now." When I asked him why he said "That's what God does. He shows mercy to people and helps them to be righteous." Wow. Jarom is awesome. I used to say before Jarom was born that I would trade some of Keahi's smarts for some obedience from him instead. Jarom's not exactly the most obedient, but he is compassionate and I'll take that.

Jarom wrote a silly sentence at school. "My alligator turned into a magnatar." I asked him about it and he told me about how a star can turn into a magnetar and have big gamma ray burst. He said he learned about it from the Universe show. I guess his teacher didn't know what it was either because she incorrectly spelled it for him. I'm sure she thought he was making up a funny word. I think it's pretty cool that he knows about magnetars.

Jarom: Keahi you are the most awesome person in the family.
Keahi: No, Jarom. We're the same awesome.

The first couple of times Jarom had breakfast at school I sat with him to help him get used to it. Here's a conversation we overheard between a 1st grade boy (YB)and what looked like a couple of 4th or 5th graders (OB1 and OB2).

OB1 "Hey, are you doing your homework now? It's due today."
YB "I knoooow. But I was busy this week. And it's really easy."
OB2 "I know what you were doing. Sitting on the couch playing video games all week. Right?"
YB "No. I had a lot of parties to go to, okay."
OB1 "How many?"
YB "Like ten." (Wow. Quite the socialite for a six year old.)
OB1 "Well, you shouldn't play a lot of video games cause it makes you stupid."
YB "Yeah, I know that."
OB2 "Yeah. Video games make you dumb."
OB1 "Well, do you know what 50 times 50 is?"
YB "No. I'm only in the first grade."
OB1 "I think we were learning that in the first grade."
OB2 "No. I think we were in the second grade." (Wow. They're both wrong. How quickly their timelines gets messed up.)
OB1 "Hey, do you know what 50 times 50 is?"
OB2 "Ummmmm.....1500.
girl "No. It's 2500."
OB2 "Yeah. That's what I meant."
OB1 "Anyway, our teacher let us do advanced stuff. And she let us do extra work, too."
YB "Well, MY teacher lets us do extra work sometimes, too."

I love that these kids spontaneously ask each other math questions at the breakfast tables. And that they all knowingly nod their head to each other about the brain-sucking power of video games. Who are these kids? No wonder Keahi has found his own science geek circle of friends here.

And that reminds me of another overheard conversation at Keahi's old Las Vegas school. It wasn't as good as this one but I like the language standards. Keahi had to use the bathroom at his school before we could leave to go home so I was waiting outside for him with Jarom. Then, a group of older boys went inside and I immediately heard them complaining about the smell. Their disgusted words and noises quickly embarrassed Keahi who yelled at them to stop it and then yelled SHUT UP!! A shocked boy left the bathroom to tell me, "Your son just said the S-word." At first I was confused because Keahi doesn't even know the S_ _ _ word and I certainly hadn't heard it. Then the boy clarified, "He told us to S up!" Ohhhhh. Thinking back to the last time I visited Kahuku elementary as an adult and had a little six year old boy flip me off for no reason and tell me to F*%! off, I was pleasantly surprised by the cleaner language standards of this neighborhood. Of course, Keahi knows he's not supposed to say Shut up and I reminded him about it but inside I was kinda smiling.

Keahi was hovering over Mie trying to get her to smile and then he said, "Mie is the cutest baby in the world to me. And to our family. But to another family their baby is the cutest in the world. It's like stars. The closer they are the brighter they seem. The closer you are to a baby the cuter it seems.
It's not exactly a quote or conversation but I want to remember how the boys like to bow down in worship of Mie like they're ewoks and Mie is C3PO in Return of the Jedi. I think she'll get a kick out of it if they keep doing it when she's older.

No comments: