Sunday, April 29, 2012

Man of Science; Man of God

Wow. Found this draft from last June and figured it was time to finish it.

 People tell me everyday that my boys look so much alike. Some even ask if they're twins. I smile and say, no, they're 2 1/2 years apart, and silently add also they're about 1 1/2 feet apart as well so unless you're thinking of an Arnold Schwarzenegger/Danny Devito scenario you need to have your eyes checked. But they do definitely look like brothers. And act like it, too.

But the differences are also pretty stark. Keahi, from a young age, always asked questions. About the planets. About rocks. About the world around him. He always wanted to know things. He's always known he was going to be a scientist when he grew up and I believe him. Jarom also asks a lot of questions. And says he wants to be a scientist when he grows up. But, from the questions he asks, I'm thinking he'll go into theology rather than the sciences.

"Mommy, how do we defeat Satan?"
"Mommy, I think bad guys started out as good guys but chose to be bad."

It used to catch me off guard; Keahi's focus of science certainly hadn't prepared me for it. It's not that we don't talk about the gospel in our home, but from all of Jarom's gymnastic endevours during said FHE lessons, you'd never know that he was actually listening, let alone thinking about what was said. But somehow he really does think about it.

If I was busy with something downstairs while they were going to read scriptures, Jarom would yell down for me and insist that I not let go of the iron rod. When Keahi was sent to timeout for hitting him, Jarom wanted to show him mercy because, "that's what God does. He shows mercy and then helps people to become righteous." When my sister came to visit with her kids, it was Jarom who tried to get his cousin to come to church or pray with us at night. "If you say the prayer you get to pick to bedtime song." "Don't you want to come to church with us? It's fun and we get lots of treats, too!" I swear I didn't prompt him or encourage him.

Another aspect of Jarom's religious ponderings is that he doesn't just say he wants to be a missionary like his brother does automatically. When Iz asked the boys about it, Keahi immediately says of course he's going to serve a mission. And that's great, don't get me wrong. But Jarom pauses and answers that he thinks it must be really hard to be a missionary and sometimes he's really shy but he's still thinking about it. Pretty mature for a five year old.

I love seeing the differences in my boys. I love thinking about how they came from me and are literally a part of me, but they are still separate and whole and wholly Other. They surprise me, amaze me, frustrate me, delight me. I'm so glad I get to be their mom. And now Mie's, too.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Cailin, I love this! from Pam Palmer's sister