Saturday, August 16, 2008

More reasons to love New York

Yesterday four SGU moms got together in Manhattan to reconnect with fellow single-mothers-spouses-of-a-med-student and have our kids get reacquainted. We had planned on going to the kids section of MoMA but when Natalie and I arrived the people at the counter told us the exhibit had been closed down but that we could pay $20 each to enter the main museum. (Later when I talked to Amy about it she said it was a permanent part of the museum and it was free. ) So we waited for Camilla and Crystal to get there and headed over to Central Park. There are a few attractions in NY that really seem like NY institutions that I've always thought of with the Big Apple: the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building, and Central Park. It's just so cool that I actually get to see all these places now. And on the way we saw FAO Schwartz--the store from the movie Big with the floor piano--and we had to stop. From life size lego statues of Darth Vader to creating your own Hot Rod (which Keahi really wanted to do but it costs $22 per car so, uh, no), this store is crazy. We played on the piano and watched a worker zoom a model air plane in loops and twists. Then far too soon for Keahi and Jarom's desires, we left for the park.

When I first saw the sandpit and tiny play structure, I was a bit disappointed. But then we saw that there were interweaving paths sprawling out with cool bridges and hills and a mini mountain with a stone curving slide. Some kids had even brought pieces of cardboard to accelerate their slide. All in all, I think this is one of the coolest playgrounds I've ever seen. We all had a blast and the time went by too fast. Before we knew it, it was time to head back to the station so the NJers wouldn't miss their connecting train back home. A long walk (and lots of people staring at the mom brigade) and too many subway flights of stairs later, we all made it safely home. When I showed the pics and vids to Iz I know he was jealous of my day. But, of course, my day didn't end there. As soon as we got back, Natalie stayed with the sleeping kids while I went to Costco during high traffic time to pick up the food for Saturday's primary activity. I got back a bit after 5, go the kids up, (thankfully Iz walked in surprisingly early so I could leave the kids and) took Natalie home, came back for dinner and the bedtime train with the kids and headed over to the Johns to watch their sleeping kids while they got to be a couple again out on the town. I got back at midnight, checked Jarom's bed that was drying outside which I forgot to remind Iz to bring back in before leaving for the Johns, which, of course, was now soaking wet, dismissed it and all other prep work with a wave of my hand and got some much needed zzzzs. And now I better stop writing and go get ready for the primary activity. It's a busy, busy weekend and I won't get to see Iz till tomorrow afternoon. Sigh. So this started off as reasons to love living in Brooklyn and meandered its way to my woes at being an SGU SO. But I really do love living here. Oh, and a highlight of Keahi's day was when he got to touch the whiskers of a squirrel at the park. I have no idea how he even got close enough without the bugger scampering away.



And the primary activity was also a hit with the kids. We made pinwheels and ate muffin and fruit. We ended up axing the planned games which was fine because I jut took the kids to the playground for a bit. Plus, I also found out that some members of the ward play ultimate frisbee at the park every Saturday. Score!


1 comment:

Jesse said...

Sounds fun. Reminds me of Saturdays here. There's a certain skill in enjoying a big city, which I am mostly lacking, but have kind of figured out over the last year. Btw, I just got an e-mail from David Bennion and remembered he's in New York. You should send him an e-mail. david.bennion@gmail.com . He'd be stoked to see you guys.