Thursday, August 14, 2008

Scorpions Explode

I've gotten used to Keahi asking me random questions at any time of the day. Or sometimes he'll run out of his room to inform me about something he just read or just figured out. It's almost annoying when he's reading something about science or nature because every 2 minutes he's interrupting me to tell me each new fact. Or sometimes he bursts out of his room to tell me that 10 sets of 3 is 30 or some other mathematical fact. And just now after dinner he randomly asked me what "burst" meant. At first I told him it meant like explode but then he immediately followed up with "Like scorpions explode." Ah, what? "Scorpions' new shells burst out of their old shells." Ohhh, so then I told him it meant more like something couldn't be contained so it had to break out. Then I asked him if that was something he had read and he said yes. I asked if he'd read it today and if that was why he'd asked about that word. But no, he didn't read it today. He read it back in Hawaii at popo's library. So he remembered that little fact about scorpions from months ago and decided to ask for the specific meaning of an unfamiliar word. Wow.

No comments: