Friday, September 26, 2008

Chrysalis or Cacoon

I was going to put this in the quotes but when I decided to include a WikiAnswer I decided to make it a post.

Daddy: "Look, Keahi, I made a chrysalis around myself."
Keahi: "No that is not a chrysalis. It's a cacoon."
Daddy: "Chrysalis. Cacoon. What's the difference?"
Keahi: I can't write exactly what he said but it was something to the effect that chrysalis is for a specific butterfly but inside a cacoon could be other things.

So I looked it up and he was right. Here's something from WikiAnswers:

From WikiAnswers:

A cocoon is a covering made of silk that encloses a pupa, and a chrysalis is the pupa of a butterfly. The chrysalis is covered in a hard, chitnous shell.

Note the difference: A cocoon is a covering of a pupa, and a chrysalis is a particular kind of pupa, usually with no enclosing cocoon.

Inside a cocoon, you will often find a pupa of a moth or other insect with an inner chitinous shell, but it is not called a chrysalis unless it is the pupa of a butterfly. The pupae of some insects have visible external body structures, such as wings and legs, as they develop, while others (such as moths) have a smooth outer shell that encloses the developing structures.

When we asked him where he learned this he said from a show on Noggin: Little Bill. And he proceeded to describe exactly what happened in the episode. Wow. He really is a sponge.

4 comments:

Karen said...

Wow. Thanks for the info.

Unknown said...

Ah yes, Noggin. G loves Little Bill. Recently, when reminded to eat the skin of a baked tater, (which he dislikes), he said, "I KNOW mom. I'm going to eat ALL the brown part because it's FULL of iron and that helps me to grow and have energy." Apparently that one's curtosy of Captain Carlos, Super-Snacker (playhouse disney).
I guess TV isn't all bad.

Natalie R. said...

Dang, I'd never even heard of a chrysalis before! Maybe it's time for me to head back to school...

Adam said...

nice-- always good to know the real meaning. love wikipedia