Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Boo at the Zoo

Just one more reason to love living in New York. We've been to the Bronx zoo several times but we had to go see what Boo at the Zoo was all about. It was our first time taking the subway there which meant leaving the house at 8:45am (only 15min off our intended schedule) so we could make the most of the day. Sometimes I question my need to fill Israel's few days off with family activities when really maybe a quiet day at home might be more welcome. But who wants to blog about that? So poor Iz gets to trade a student day off with a daddy day on.

I'm very grateful the subway has not lost its allure for the boys. I mean, I guess even I still marvel that $2 can get you so far or that we're going under water but on the whole the subway has become a sorta dirty, pedestrian mode of travel. Yet I still enjoy it. I like watching people on the subway. I like imagining what they're lives are like or where they're headed and if they're happy about it. Of course the running commentary from Keahi makes people-watching less of a quiet sport. "Is this Clark St? Is Wall St. next? Are we in Manhattan, now? Is Brooklyn bigger than Manhattan?" fills our ears the entire journey.

It is so hard to get these boys to smile. Jarom only shouts cheese cat and Keahi makes faces.

We actually hit only a few attractions at the zoo and it was still a very full day. We finally saw the lonely bear waddling about. I gotta say, I was hoping for a sprint or a roar or something less teddy bearish but it was impressively big.


We went through the Children's Zoo which was Iz's first time. Honestly, we could probably just do that and Skyfari every time and the kids would be happy with the trip. The aligator got some ooooohs and I think Peterson was a bit frightened at first. Though it quickly wore off and he was giving it glass kisses by the end. We crawled through every possible tunnel and climbed every possible structure. But I think the tree slide was still the unanimous favorite. Though Jarom did enjoy hand feeding--more like hand flicking--the sheep.




No time for Skyfari this trip, but we made trick or treat bags, ran through a hay bale maze, stopped at a few treat stations, marched in a costume parade, went on a hayride sing-a-long,and the World of Darkness was a fitting end.




We stopped at a grocery store for some vittles and I got a bit nostalgic as we ate our meat pies. Grenada gains in happy thoughts the longer I'm away. The meat pies there were better. But I wouldn't trade New York for anything.

2 comments:

beth said...

That looks like so much fun. Now I want to fill one of our crazy weekends with the Detroit Zoo Boo. I do agree about Greanda's meat pies - those were tasty. I am jealous about the subway; it'd be really nice not to have to drive.

Leah said...

The bear is probably getting ready to hibernate, hence the lethargy. Come to Jackson in the fall and I will show you and your boys wild bears, rutting elk, deer, moose, and buffalo (PC term: bison)! I am sad that I had no idea that you guys were in NYC and I went to visit Tisha (remember making banana bread in Tacoma, cailin?) the last week in Sept. Who knew I have so many friends in the Big Apple?

Reading your blog made me jealous. At first I thought it was because you guys are having wonderful adventures as a family while working on a bigger picture goal. And then I realized that I am jealous because you have wide-eyed childmind curiosity, excitement, and wonder at the world, whereas I have been in a bahumbug poopey face mood for a while.

But yay! I am very happy for all of you and you guys really are inspiring.

Leah