Tuesday, October 7, 2008

He Giveth and Taketh Away

Our weekend adventure to the farm was amazing and totally worth the expensive zipcar. It also helped that we used the car afterward to make a Costco run where I finally got us a printer for half off and on the way back scored several free items from people who had just finished a stoop sale. The little bookshelf, clothes hangers, and mugs sent a little thrill of satisfaction down my spine. I had just thought to myself that I should have checked freecycle and craigslist to find things to pick up since we had a car for the day when one block later I spotted the stoop sale. We've really been lucky about this kind of thing and I'm so grateful for the bounty and blessings of people's excess.

Fast forward to my triumphant return to unload my newest finds only to discover that we had been unintentional givers of free stuff as well. When we had returned from the farm and unloaded everything and gotten the kids undressed and all that important responsible parenting stuff, I had left both carseats at the top of our exterior steps to the basement. I had planned on going down to the basement from inside and bringing the seats in since I didn't have a key to the outside basement door. But I when I finally remembered while at Costco, I discovered I didn't have a phone and couldn't tell Iz. No big deal, I thought.

So......when I hopped out of my heavy laden car, I looked behind the iron gateway (without an actual gate to close) at the top of the steps, I saw only Jarom's carseat lying on its side. The person had apparently not found it to his or her liking and had taken Keahi's instead. It looked a little lonely and self-conscious at being cast aside. And poor Keahi cried out, "Who's the mean person who stole my seat?!"

I guess those Great Material Continuum currents are harder to navigate than I'd thought. (If you don't get the reference, tough, you non-trekers.)

4 comments:

beth said...

Uh oh - we've been getting lots of free stuff and haven't had anything taken yet. But Esther does always keep an eye out for "bad guys."
I've been to yard sales and garage sales, but never a stoop sale. I guess it's a big city thing.

Mariko said...

Wait a sec. You don't like EGGPLANT?! Did you not make me eggplant parmesan?
I specifically thought of you when I posted the recipe. You HAVE to try it. Use asian long eggplant. I don't know if it makes a difference, but that's what I did. Sorry to write back on this, but for some reason I don't have an e-mail for you, IZ.

Maren said...

Well, I guess you could think of it as an opportunity to teach Keahi about mean people, and to never talk to strangers, etc. Sorry about the car seat, but I'm glad you had fun at the farm & Costco. :) Love the pics!

Robbie said...

Yes, I love the post about your farm trip, along with all the photos and slides and videos! You're such a good blogger, Cailin! I'm glad you guys got a chance to get out of the building-infested city. Sorry to hear about Keahi's car seat. You probably don't use it too often, yeah, since you don't have a car. So junk that on the one day you use it, it gets stolen! Luckily he's getting to be older now. Jarom needs his seat more!