Sunday, October 5, 2008

Picking the Grapes---well, apples anyway

We didn't get any grapes though we did enjoy their sweet fragrance filling the air. As we walked by I mentioned that I'd never picked fresh grapes before and Iz contradicted me. He laughingly reminded me about picking imaginary grapes years ago in seminary class.

Flashback to freshman year in seminary. We used to meet in the GCB at BYUH in one of those classrooms with 4 tiers of table seating to allow students to view their instructor unobstructed. David Wade was our recent RM called upon to nurture our testimonies. All the Laie 3rd ward misfits were there like Leah Taala, Kimberly Miller, Sarah Underwood, and, yes, my husband Israel Temple. I think the lesson was on the parable of the servants in the vineyard or something like that. The "master" sent out servants to pick grapes and report back. As much as I might like to look back on myself during the high school years as mature for my age, this incident reminds me how immature and hyperactive I could be--but only that freshman year, of course. I don't remember much except that Leah and I decided to run along the tables, jumping to a higher tier at the end of the row while shouting PICK THE GRAPES as loudly and annoyingly high-pitched as 14 year old girls can get. Israel remembers running up and down the aisle steps but does not claim any part in the tabletop running or the yelling. Yeah, no one in that room would ever have imagined Israel and I married with 2 kids picking grapes together in upstate New York. It's amazing what can change over the years.

1 comment:

Maren said...

I don't think I was in that class, but I vividly remember the PICK THE GRAPES stuff. It must have oozed out of your classroom just a bit. :) I wouldn't have guessed it either. But it really works out well with you two, not to mention that Keahi and Jarom are just so so so adorable! :)